Monday, April 28, 2008

The Maid Comes on Mondays

Yes, today is "maid" day. I really like this one. She's been coming for quite some time now. She's not one of those "chatty Kathy" types; just does the work. Sings occasionally, but I like music. She keeps talking about retiring and every time she does, I think, "Oh my God, what WILL I do if she quits?" The house will be a wreck and I'll be cranky. Probably more than cranky. Probably just downright ILL. I just can not get along without her. How can I entice her to stay?

Okay, so the damn maid is me. And I've been maiding now for what seems like a small eternity..... not a big one, just a small one. Today as I was cleaning the commode for the fifty-eleventh time in my life, a thought popped up uninvited: some people DO STUFF....some people clean toilets. Now, I'll be the first one to admit that I like a decently clean house. At least one that visitors can't pick up any zootic diseases from while they're there. But there just has to be something in life other than a clean bathroom.

I do want to retire from domestic management. After 30 some odd years, I think I'm due a gold watch (and lots of other things besides). But since the job is ongoing and there doesn't seem to be anyone else standing in line to do it, I guess full retirement is out of the question. So, I'm now giving myself permission to go part-time. If things aren't as clean or as neat or as organized or as whatever it is I've always thought they should be, who cares? Not me..... I'm moving on to some other activities. Hmmmm. Let me see now. What exactly would those be? I'll think on it while I vacuum.

No comments: