Monday, November 30, 2009

Monday (Movie) Musing

Yesterday afternoon I treated myself to a movie.  The one I chose was "The Blind Side" with Sandra Bullock.  What a GREAT movie!  Yes, the storyline is predictable, but so what?  It's still good.  Y'all need to go see it if you haven't already.

Sandra Bullock has dead-on nailed her character, Leigh Ann Tuohy.  The supporting actors are excellent, too.  As a matter of fact, I was very pleasantly surprised at Tim McGraw as the husband.  Now I can see what Faith Hill sees :)  But back to Miss Sandy.  It was so nice to see her portrayl of The Southern Sorority Girl all grown up.  She could have gone WAY over the top with that, but didn't.  She managed to show that yes indeed, Southern girls-now-women have more layers than just "Daddy's little rich girl" or "spoiled bitch" or "flighty twit".  Those elements are certainly there sometimes, but there are also qualities of caring about others and wanting to do the right thing.  Even if that means going it alone.  "Steel magnolias" isn't just the title of a play/movie.  Bossy?  Yes.  Flirty?  A little, but with a modicum of taste.  Mannerly?  Absolutely.  Iron will....temper......courageous?  Yes, yes and yes.

Maybe one of the reasons I liked this movie so much is because I know more than just a few of these very same women.  Grew up with them; had them for friends and relatives and role models.  Loved them to pieces.  As a matter of fact, I suppose there are people out there who would peg me for one my own self.  That's okay by me.  I was born and raised in the South.  Lived here my whole life (with a couple of years here and there away).  An alumnus of both the University of Tennessee and the University of Alabama.  Instructed in the football culture from junior high school on.  AND, an initiate of the Kappa Delta Sorority......just like Leigh Anne.  So, yeah......it was fun to see "myself" up on the big screen.  Just wish I looked a little more like Sandra Bullock!  But then I'd have to be younger and on a perpetual diet.  So, maybe I'll just be content to stay one of the unknown Southern Sisterhood. 

No comments: