Friday, September 25, 2009

A Southern Delicacy

Yesterday as I was driving home from the grocery store, I happened to glance up at the Hardee's sign as I went by.  And there it was:  advertising for a fried bologna sandwich.  WHAT????? 

Now, I don't know if Hardees all over the nation are on this bandwagon or not.  Maybe it's just us this particular campaign is aimed for.  But I haven't seen or heard of any restaurant or deli or sandwich shop around here touting bologna before now.  (And by the way, when I was growing up -- and still --- that word is pronounced "bolo-nee", long o's with the emphasis on the "nee" if you want to get the inflection just right.)  Just one more little artery-clogging menu item to entice us with.

I can well remember as a little girl going to the store with my grandmother to grocery shop.  She always stopped at the butcher counter (remember those?) and had the man there slice up at least a pound of the stuff.  Thick slices.....really thick slices.  Back then, it didn't come all prepackaged for you.  He'd slice it up and wrap it in that nice thick, white butcher's paper.  And when we'd get home, I couldn't wait for her to unwrap it and slap it down in that skillet.  She'd fry it up until it was nice and hot and crispy brown around the edges.  Take it out, put it between two heavily mayonnaised pieces of fresh "light bread" and dig in.  Oh, and "light bread", if you don't already know, was white, presliced, store-bought bread versus the homemade kind.  Yummy!  No wonder Southerners seem to have a problem with calorie counting.

I bet Hardee's version doesn't hold a candle..........

No comments: