Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Christmas Icicle Crunchies

I thought I was going to get away with no Christmas tree-dog mishaps this year.  Yes.......I was wrong.  Over the weekend, Vivi determined that the nice, sparkly plastic icicles I put on the tree must be new doggie treats sent from Santa just for her.

The first crunch that I heard, I couldn't really place what it was.  I kept on with what I was doing, but then I heard it again.  I got up to check and there she was, the evidence strewn around her in several small pieces.  As I bent down to look, I quickly realized that there weren't enough small pieces to make a whole icicle.  Uh oh.  I resumed what I had been doing and an hour later, I heard the telltale crunch again.  I ran this time to the scene of the crime.  Now, I picked up the top and two-thirds of the bottom.  When I picked her up, Miss Viv gagged up the other half-inch.  This time I went to find the baby gate (used in emergency cases like this); removed all the remaining icicles from the lower third of the tree; and, closed the pocket door in to the dining room effectively sealing off the temptation.
I spent the next two days watching for signs of intestinal blockage, which thankfully, never materialized.  I would have hated to spend all of Vivi's Christmas present money on a big, fat vet bill.  As far as I can tell, the tree ornaments have now lost most of their glowing appeal.  We have 10 days.  Keep your fingers crossed.



No comments: