Thursday, December 31, 2009

This Year's Animal

It started year before last when I gave my sister and myself sterling silver dragonfly charms.  Dragonflies symbolize transformation and I thought 2008 needed to be a transformative year for both of us.  My sister hasn't changed her animal since; she loves the idea of constantly transforming herself.

I, on the other hand, chose the bumblebee as my 2009 animal.  Bumblebees symbolize persistence, steadiness, diligence and winning against all odds.  After all, aerodynamically bumblebees shouldn't be able to fly at all.  All of which I need to work on as I have a bad habit of "flitting" and never "landing".  I think I've done better this year.  Not great, but better.  I wore my bumblebee often throughout this year to give me a boost when I needed it.

For 2010, I have chosen the turtle as my totem.  I love turtles and tortoises.  They just look wise to me.  So, for Christmas I asked for a very pretty little bracelet I had seen with turtles and turquoise beads.  It really helps me to have a reminder that I can wear.  Turtles signify "groundedness" and they are the oldest symbol for planet Earth.  The turtle is a reminder to create and hold your ideas and plans till they are fully ready to share; and, that being bigger, stronger or faster aren't always the best ways to get to your goal.  Remember "slow and steady wins the race"?

This year I'll try to give myself the time I need to do the things I need or want to do.  And I'll have these sweet little turtles to help me along.



No comments: