Monday, August 17, 2009

Monday Morning Musing

In a rare fit of determination, I went to the movies yesterday afternoon. This is significant because I probably attend 2-3 movies at a theatre in a year's time. The movie I had made this extra effort for is "Julie & Julia"..... the one about Julia Child and Julie I-Forget-Her-Last-Name cooking all the recipes in "Mastering the Art of French Cooking" in one year.

It was a really good movie and I'm glad I got to see Meryl Streep work her characterization magic. It was funny and heartwarming and all that. But I'm just going to tell you: if I thought I had to take a cookbook and fix every recipe in it in a year just to get a handle on my life, I'd probably be in the looney bin before the second week. I can't imagine coming home 365 NIGHTS to fix some long drawn-out French recipe. Hell, it's all I can do to make myself go to the grocery store every week. And half the time, I don't come back with anything really edible.

So, while I -- like Julia -- LOVE to eat, I'm still not going to stay in the kitchen. If I want really good food, I'll save up the "egg money" and go to a nice restaurant.

No comments: